Saturday, March 14, 2015

First Fresh Stripers Should Arrive About April 18th

Did you ever see such a series of full moons as we have had these past 6 months ?
 
I can't remember a time when we had 6 full moons in a row with brilliant, clear nights at the time of fullness. First came the Harvest Moon in October, with a whole series of nights when it seemed to fill the sky with radiance. Then came the Hunter's Moon in November, almost as brilliant and prolonged. December's full moon, the Beaver Moon, was equally brilliant though somewhat less prolonged.
In January we had the full moon which the Indians called the Wolf Moon, with just enough snow on the ground to make a full week of nights so bright that only the biggest stars were visible.
The weather gods then changed the snow fall for the remainder of our New England winter with the February full moon called the Snow Moon. The March full moon named the Worm Moon produced some outstanding howling by the male coyotes looking for a mate and I cannot wait to witness the April full moon entitled the Pink Moon.
 
This brings us to our prediction of the first fresh Striper Bass of the 2015 season appearing about April 18th on the New Moon between 10am and 12 am at the East Wall in Narragansett Bay, R.I.
 
We all have our special moonlight memories. One of mine is of a autumn moon that seemed twice as big as the sun when it rose, and it was a special coppery yellow such as I have seldom seen. I saw it many years ago, but the memory holds on, not because of a special incident but because of the moon itself. In fact I watched the moon all alone, and I sat on a hilltop for several hours in the moonlight overlooking the Cape Cod Canal. It was a rather special moon, but it was doubly special in the way it cast its glittering beams on the water. I was listening to a country radio station and started singing along with the ballad and then I reali
zed that I was singing to the moon. Strange memory, but poignant and beautiful. Maybe it was the night that made me feel I had a special ownership of the moon.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment